From:
Mark Zec <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Dec 1998 23:01:21 -0600
> I have a 2.1 GB WD primary and a 1.6 GB WD slave on the primary IDE
> controller. A CD is on the secondary controller. I know I can install
> the new HD on the secondary controller as master and copy the
> contents of the slave HD to it, then use the new HD to replace the
> old slave unit. This is very tedious as it requires multiple changes
> to the BIOS in addition to hardware changes.

Does the secondary controller support two drives like the primary?  If
so, there's no reason that you should have to remove the primary slave.
Just install the new hard drive as the slave (or master, it shouldn't
matter) on the secondary controller, and have three hard drives in the
machine (also assuming you have space for three hard drives).

If the secondary controller only supports one drive, or if you don't
have room for three hard drives in your machine, *and* if you have
enough free space on the 2.1 GB drive, you could:

1) Use PKZip/Winzip to compress everything on the 1.6 and store it on
   the 2.1
2) Remove the 1.6
3) Install the new drive
4) Unzip the files from the 2.1 to the new drive.

This would be faster than using a tape drive just because of the
difference in read/write speeds between a hard drive and a tape drive.

Mark

* GST * You can't choose your face, but you can pick your nose.

                         PCBUILD's List Owner's:
                      Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>
                        Drew Dunn<[log in to unmask]>