From:
Drew Dunn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Sep 1998 16:16:36 -0600
Bobby, I found some information on the web.  Since you have a Juno account,
I'll assume that you can't surf the web, so here is the information that I
found:

The monitor was made by Sony, supports 1280x1024, 1152x900, 1196x938, and
1076x824 at refresh rates between 66 and 76Hz.

It has a 19" viewable image and .30mm dot pitch.

Photon may be the vendor that you're thinking about.  They have a couple of
fixed frequency cards available from around $260 to $390, depending on
features.  Their phone number is 800-255-9893, email [log in to unmask] or
web at http://www.photonweb.com.  It does say on their web page that their
Torpedo 3DM card ($260) will work with the GDM-20D10.  That card has a
Cirrus Logic CL-GD5480 2D/3D chipset with 4MB of 10ns SGRAM.

As for whether or not this is a good idea, well, it depends on the price.  A
.30 dot pitch monitor doesn't provide outstanding performance, however, if
you've already got the thing, then it seems a shame to just let it sit
there.  It also may be that the monitor has a Trinitron tube, in which case,
dot pitch measurements are somewhat irrelevant because of tube's
configuration.  Your eye and your wallet are probably your best judge.  Good
20" monitors are hovering around the $800 to $900 range, so that should be a
guide.  My Hitachi 19" monitor was about $750, plus another $150 for the
Diamond FireGL 1000 Pro, so maybe that will help you make your decision.

Good luck!

Drew Dunn
http://adsl24.bois.uswest.net/drew/index.htm

> I have come into the possession of a Sun GDM 20D10 monitor.
> I did some searches and found that it is a 20" color monitor that
> is supposed to support 1280x1024 resolution. I also found a
> vendor(Proteon?) that has a video card that is supposed to
> make it work on a pc type machine.
> Does anyone know anything about this monitor?
> Can I and/or do I want to try to make it work on my pc?

                                  -----
       **Need help with PCBUILD mailing list? Send an Email to:**