From:
Bruce Boschek <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Apr 1999 17:35:19 +0200
Howdy,
Sorry for the weird subject :-). I have a WD Caviar 2420 on a 486 that is
used only for simple word processing. After a boot-virus infection and
removal with Sophos Sweep, the drive is no longer recognized by the bios
(auto detect does not work and if I manually put in drive parameters the
bios reports HD failure), BUT the drive works fine as a slave. Yes, I do
move the jumper from Slave to Master... I have rechecked for viruses with
Sophos and with McAfee and they report no infection. Since the bios does
not recognize the drive as master I can do nothing with it, I cannot fdisk
it or address it in any manner (obviously). I could delete the partition
with the drive as slave, but I don't see that as having any effect on it
not be recognized as master.

Another Caviar works fine as master.

Does anyone have any idea what could cause this, a cure or a diagnosis? Am
I forgetting something? Of course, it is not a big loss and I can replace
the drive, but I would like to know what causes this and if there is a
cure.

Thanks much in advance.

Best wishes,

Bruce