From:
Bob Wright <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 29 Jun 2002 08:55:26 -0600
At 06:37 PM 6/28/2002, Ian Porter wrote:

>"A customer has an IBM Thinkpad with no operating system, and no floppy disk
>drive, it's an ex-lease machine he bought at a sale.
>It has a CD drive, and I've tried burning the contents of a W98 startup
>floppy to CD, to see if I could start installing a system that way, but no
>go.
>Anyone know how I can get an OS onto this laptop?"
>As a footnote, I note the BIOS has options to boot from up to 4 hard drives.
>I have a USB bridge cable, which works a treat with other machines, but I'm
>sure I'd need an OS on the laptop to begin with.
>Does anyone know how to create a bootable CD?

Most CD writer software has the option to create a bootable CD,
such as EZ CD Creater or Nero.  If your CD writing software does
not have this option, then create an Image file of a bootable floppy
disk with your CD Writer software and then write it to a CD.   Once
you have the operating system loaded with the CD, you can copy
your CAB file directory from your Windows98 CD to the laptop's
hard drive and install from the hard drive after booting from the
bootable CD.

     Bob Wright
The NoSpin Group, Inc.
http://freepctech.com