From:
andre chiasson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Apr 2002 21:38:19 -0400
Thank you Ian,

The strip connector and the UPS are good products to be used between the
computer and the wall outlet.  But what if the power supply itself starts to
fry, is there some little gadget I can install between the power supply and
the motherboard to protect the internal devices.  Obviously, it would be
installed inside whereas the strip connector and the UPS are used outside of
the computer.

Thank you very much!
Andre Chiasson
Quebec City

Ian wrote:

>I didn't answer this one as I thought someone else would:
>Basically, you have two options. The first is your common garden variety
>strip connector (or series of connected power outlets)  These usually come
>in a plain type, or with a surge activated cut-out, and are fairly
>inexpensive.
>
>The other type is considerably more expensive, but does a far better job.
>It's called a 'UPS' or 'uninterruptible power supply' and not only isolates
>the PC and\or peripherals from power surges, but also provides backup power
>for a time, from it's built-in battery.
>
>Ian Porter
>Computer Guys
>Arrowtown