From:
rizal sharif <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Sep 2005 11:36:55 +0800
"Can you tell us anything about the network technology in use?
Ethernet/Token-Ring/Appletalk? Co-ax/twisted-pair/fiber?
Swtches/hubs/other?"

It is Ethernet (10/100 Mbps) - UTP Cat 5. Switches in the server room are HP
Procurve 2524 and D-Link DES 1024R Fast ethernet.

And thank you very much for your input on getting MAC address from the
switches. Never thought of it before.

Rizal Sharif

On 9/19/05, David Gillett <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> On 19 Sep 2005 at 8:32, rizal sharif wrote:
>
> > I have a problem in my company where we have about 50 network nodes
> without
> > any labelling. I am instructed to identify the nodes in each room and
> also
> > in the server room and label it.
>
> > Question:
> > Is there an effective way for me to do this? I am thinking of disconnect
> > each individual cable in the server room and do pinging from each nodes
> one
> > by one. This is tedius jobs and can only be done on weekend.
>
> Can you tell us anything about the network technology in use?
> Ethernet/Token-Ring/Appletalk? Co-ax/twisted-pair/fiber?
> Swtches/hubs/other?
>

> Current industry practice is to number each faceplate, assigning a suffix
> letter to each individual jack, and duplicate these labels at the
> corresponding jack on a "patch panel" in the telecom room (which
> apparently
> is, in your case, the server room). Within each faceplate, the jacks
> should
> follow the standard color code: Blue, Orange, Green, Brown, ...
>
> It may be possible, using ping or other simple tools, to get a list of
> machine names and their IP addresses. Hopefully the machine names will
> tell
> you where the machine is or who uses it.
> Then, using ping and arp, you can get MAC addresses to go with each of
> those IP addresses.
> Finally, your switches *should* be able to tell you what MAC address(es)
> are in use on each port. (If you have hubs rather than switches, they
> probably won't provide that information.) So that at least lets you map
> the
> connections athat are in use.
>
> There a handful of other effective ways to approach this that come to
> mind, but they're even more tedious.
>
> David Gillett
>
> The NOSPIN Group has added a new feature on our website,
> web based bulletinboard for questions and answers:
> Visit our sister website at http://nospin.com

                     visit our download web page at:
                  http://freepctech.com/downloads.shtml