From:
Frank Suszka <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Jun 2005 17:16:15 -0700
Stephen R Stanfield wrote;

>I have had dsl hookup with small telephone coop for 3 1/2 years.  I
>recently built an office outside of my house.  I had the cable run out to
>the building.

I'm trying to piece this together and I have a few questions if I may.

You stated you ran the cable to the building. What kind of cable did you
run? Was it Cat3? This is wire that has four pairs in it.

>they are telling me I have to run a Cat 5 cable from my router/hub out to
>the new building.

Did "they " explain to you why you needed to run Cat5? Did they make any
suggestion as to how you were supposed to hook this up?

Cat5 is a better wire than cat3 in many respects. The noise to signal ratio
is much better. In fact, the best you can get would be shielded Cat5. It is
expensive and may not be feasible.

It sounds like "they" want you to run cat5 to the computer you will have in
the office and hook it into the NIC jack on the back of the machine. You
could get another router and hook it up in the office but why do that? It is
an extra expense getting the additional equipment. This is meant to be
suggestive only.

Another thought is, how far is it from the house to the new building? This
is also a consideration in reference to the Cat5. The longer the run, the
weaker the signal. I suspect the Telco is trying to save themselves some
money. If you have a poor signal or throughput , you will be on the phone
trying to resolve it.

Wireless in metal buildings will work if you have a window. <Smile> As was
mentioned earlier in the thread, security is an issue. I have had instances
where clients were on the net using wireless and the signal was coming from
their neighbors wireless connection.

Please keep us posted as to the outcome.

Sincerely,

Frank Suszka
netTek Computers

  _____

Virus Database (VPS): 0525-0, 06/20/2005
Tested on: 6/20/2005 5:16:07 PM

                     visit our download web page at:
                  http://freepctech.com/downloads.shtml