From:
Bob Wright <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 5 Aug 2000 16:18:59 -0600
At 02:43 PM 08/05/2000 , you wrote:
>I have the following:
>
>Gateway Pentium II 300
>320 MB of Ram
>ATI All-in-Wonder 128 video/graphics card
>6.4 Gig Harddrive
>
>Unfortunately, after upgrading my Ram and video/graphics card, I can't tell
>any major differences than before I upgraded.  So now I am thinking that I
>need to add a new motherboard and processor.  My question is, should up go to
>the expense of adding a new motherboard and processor or should I just think
>of purchasing a new computer?  Will a new motherboard and processor give me a
>major increase in speed especially when downloading and moving around on the
>web?  Or am I asking to be disappointed again with no major difference in
>speed?  The main reason I use my computer is for the internet.  I don't play
>any games or anything like that.  I would appreciate your input.
>
>Thank you,
>Susan Hays

The PC you describe above is more than fast enough to enjoy browsing
the web.  A Pentium 300 is a fine machine for web browsing...  it will
open your web browser fairly fast and assorted web applications with
plenty of snap...  this is not your problem.

Moving around the Internet is based on the data transfer TO your PC...
and not the PC...

You need to be considering Internet speed...  not PC speed.  If you have
a 28.8K modem, then a 33.6K or 56K modem will increase the speed of
data moving to your PC.  If you have a 56k modem, then you need to
consider ISDN (very expensive and from the phone company), a cable modem
(cable access provided by your Cable TV company) or DSL (fastest of all if
you get 512k or better from the phone company).  Using a cable modem
or DSL makes web browsing much like changing channels on your TV,
each page just snaps open...   videos stream like television...  5mg files
snap off the Internet onto your hard drive. *pop*

     Bob Wright
The NOSPIN Group

      special "Free-After-Rebate" Software specials in conjunction
          with Beyond.com.   We have new offers all the time!!!
                      http://nospin.com/promotions