From:
Hugh Vandervoort <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Sep 2005 03:59:33 -0400
I've read (and written) more than one complaint about NIS here, so I
thought it was worth relating yesterday's experience.
The job was to set up a working network between a laptop and a desktop
connected via broadband cable modem and linksys router. XP Home was
installed on both computers. I've done this job several times, and am
familiar with the hardware involved.

I immediately noticed that NIS was installed on both machines, and
anticipated problems.
After setting up the workgroup and creating shares (Without a single
peep from NIS) I got the "You may not have permission to accesss..."
message when I tried to access a shared folder. I knew I had done the
job properly, and the guy was reluctant to remove Norton ("It's rated
number one".) so I looked  at the Norton settings to see what I had to
change. I've made similar adjustments with Zone Alarm , Kerio and the
Windows Firewall, so I had some idea what to look for. Never found it.
At this point , he was convinced, so we uninstalled Norton and installed
AVG and Kerio. Kerio immediately created "rules" for the network and all
was well.
This often recommended software doesn't play well with XP networking. I
used many Norton products in the past and used to think very highly of
the company, but something has gone wrong.
Just my two cents.