From:
Bob Wright <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Jun 2002 18:42:34 -0600
At 06:59 AM 6/25/2002, you wrote:
>I recently acquired a used Pent III computer.  It came
>with an external modem (56K) from Robotics.  I was
>having trouble going from web site to web site.  The
>download seemed to freeze and be unresponsive.  I have
>two different internet service providers and the
>problem did not seem to be any different using either
>one.  I also took my computer to work to try another
>phone line but that did not help.  I had my computer
>repair man put in an internal modem but I am still
>having the same problems.  Any suggestions??

 From your description of the symptoms, it sounds like you
have a DNS issue.

If you right click on the Network Neighborhood icon on your
desktop, click on properties and then check the properties
for your TCP/IP driver.  Click on the DNS configuration tab
and be sure it is set to match your ISP's DNS configuration.
This will only work for Windows95/98 or ME...

If you have multiple ISP connections, then set the above to
disable DNS and configure each of your connections listed
in My Computer / Dialup Networking / ISP connection.  Right
click on the icon(s) and choose properties.  Then, under TCP/IP
put the DNS settings for each ISP.

    Bob Wright
The NoSpin Group
http://freepctech.com