From:
Michael Wurster <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Oct 2003 10:21:18 -0600
Ben,
This is a tough one. I would first check for a loose connection, cable or
component. If you're handy inside the box, remove all the cards except the
video (and hard drive interface if it's not on the motherboard) and see
what happens. If it's stable, re-install one card at a time until the
problem returns Do the same thing with the memory modules, or if only one,
then beg borrow or buy another module to see if that solves the problem. It
also could be a flaky CPU, power supply, or if you're using one, UPS. Maybe
the CPU is running too hot....this would be easy to check if you have a
bios that tracks CPU temp. If you don't have a way to see CPU temp, you
might be able to tell by when the thing reboots. The problem wouldn't
manifest itself right after turning it on after it had sat for a while, but
once it got hot the reboots would happen repeatedly until you shut it down
and let it cool off . I don't think it has anything to do with the dual
boot configuration.
Good luck,
Michael

>My PC randomly and repeatedly reboots itself, as if I
>had pushed the reset button. Sometimes it is stable
>for an hour or two and at other times it reboots
>several times in rapid succession, even before it has
>loaded windows fully.

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                   http://freepctech.com/pcbuild.shtml