From:
Mary Wolden <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 3 Oct 1999 20:37:59 -0500
From: Guise Sandy & marc Subject: [PCBUILD] Sound Card IRQ

> Can somebody tell me what PCI Steering is? Every time I run Nuts and Bolts
> diagnostics, I get this message: "IRQ holder for PCI steering has been
> disabled."
>
> I'm trying to install a Creative Vibra 128 soundcard (PCI) on Win 98 and
it
> chooses IRQ 12, which I think is conflicting (PCI steering uses IRQ 11 and
> 12). I can't change the IRQ in Device Manager (I unchecked "Use Auto
> Settings") and if I change in the BIOS, in PnP/PCI Config, Windows seems
> simply ignore that.
>
> I've tried two drivers from Creative's website, drivers from the Vibra CD
> and let Windows do what it wants. Each time, after what seems to be a
> succesful driver update, I get the message,
> "SBPCI interrupt has been routed incorrectly by the system. AudioPCI
> inactive. Use automatic settings in Device Manager." (I have been using
> auto). This message also comes up on a blue screen when Windows starts.
>
> Any ideas on how to fix this?
>
> Thanks for your time
> Marc Guise

If you have a PS/ 2 mouse not a serial mouse, it usually uses IRQ 12 in both
Win95 and Win 98 which may be why you are having an IRQ conflict.  A PS/2
mouse does not share an IRQ.  Enable IRQ steering as Bill Cohane explained
and try reinstalling the card.  If the conflict is caused by the PS/2 mouse
using IRQ 12 that should hopefully fix it.  I have had trouble with Plug and
pray not assigning IRQ's properly and have to assign them in the Bios
myself.

Mary Wolden

                     visit our download web page at:
                     http://nospin.com/pc/files.html