From:
Nick Torraca <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Mar 2012 17:09:31 -0400
Hi folks,
I have a serious problem with my fairly new HP Pavilion notebook. Temperature problem, it won't stay on for much more than a minute. Its most likely going back to HP for warranty service. I haven't called them yet to discuss, but I'm assuming I'll never see my hard drive or my data again. Its not the end of the world, most is backed up. There are a few recent docs and pictures I would like to retrieve. Also, I really don't want anyone having access to my hard drive and browser with all my favorites, history and passwords programed in, so I would like to wipe it.
I removed the sata HD 750gb drive and connected to my cheap usb hard drive adapter. I have used this device successfully before. Not sure if I used it on a sata drive, but I have copied many ide's with it. Anyway, my working machine recognizes it as a drive, but I cannot access anything. It reports that it is a 750gb Hitachi drive, but it says the drive is not formatted. I looked in the disk manager and it shows the drive and size correctly. It says the file system is 'raw'. I know in the broken machine it showed as NTFS. Both machines are Windows 7 x64 notebooks. Both have NTFS. How can I read this drive and get my stuff? Am I missing something? Is my cheap (computer show) usb adapter kit incompatible with a 750gb from a Windows 7 machine? There is no manufacturer listed and no drivers that I know of for the kit. Should I get a better usb adapter? Any advice on how to read this drive would be great. Thanks.

                  Visit our website regularly for FAQs,
                          http://freepctech.com