From:
Eric Wertman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 18 Feb 2001 17:41:36 -0500
> > I am in a big problem. I have a AMD ThunderBird 1GHz , on ABIT KT-7
> > motherboard.The motherboard has inbuilt ATA/100 controller from HotRod.
> > HotRod gave drivers for Windows2000, NT and 98. But this
> controller is not
> > supported by RedHat Linux. It doesn't recognizes the harddisk,
> > when i go for
> > installing linux it says no storage device  found, and asks me
> to supply a
> > DeviceDriver Diskette.
> > On the otherhand, HotRod doesn't completely abandons Linux, it
> > says download
> > some Patch from http://www.linux-ide.org/ and that should fix
> > this problem.
> > Can Any one suggest me what to do with this patch. I have downloaded the
> > Patch. its a file with .bz extension. But linux installation
> doesn't like
> > the disk with this patch also.
> > Patch name is ide.2.2.16.20000630.patch.bz2

If you check out the Ultra-DMA Howto, there are instructions for this case
(I have the same problem with my HPT366 UDMA66 controller.). Basically, you
have to pass it hardware addresses to make it act like a standard ide
controller.  When the initial boot prompt comes up from the install you can
type "Linux ide2=0xNNNN,0xNNNN ide3=0xNNNN,0xNNNN" and it will treat the
controller as a standard ide one.  you'll have to get the numbers yourself,
you'll find the instructions in the HOWTO:

http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/mini/Ultra-DMA.html

basically, once you get the install started use ctrl-alt-F2 to get a console
and type
"cat /proc/pci"

use shift+pgup to look for the "unidentified mass storage controller" and
get the addresses.

after install you can patch and re-compile the kernel to support the higher
transfer modes.

HTH

Eric Wertman