Date:
Thu, 15 Apr 1999 13:21:54 -0700
Bob Zeoli wrote:

> Should the wrist strap be then connected to the chassis?

Once the chassis is properly grounded, the wrist strap can be connected
to the chassis.  Inexpensive wrist straps only have a banana plug on the
end (most industrial systems have a special jack installed to allow a
wrist strap to 'plug in').  Better wrist straps also have a small
alligator clip that allows the banana plug to be inserted into, and the
alligator clip then clips onto some part of the metal chassis of the
unit to be worked on.

Remember, the purpose of the wrist strap is to safely dissipate a static
charge that may build up on a person's body.  But it is also designed to
prevent a person from being electrocuted if they come into contact with
a powered circuit.

Just some additional 2c.  In the winter time, my favorite chair makes me
charged up whenever I get up from it.  So I have a spare wrist strap
cord dangling from my table lamp.  Everytime I get up, I grab the free
end of the cord for about 5 seconds.  Sure is better than the shock I
would get from a doorknob.  So wrist straps and their cords can be very
beneficial to one's health.

--
Jean Bourvic :>))

                   messages? Visit our staff web site: