From:
John Henry Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Dec 2000 13:11:08 -0600
I just went through a nightmare after buying a new motherboard and 60Gig
hard drive for upgrading one of my computers.  I installed the new
motherboard and everything was working fine :-)  Then I added the 60 Gig
hard drive and everything seemed to be working fine?  I ran something
over night and when I woke up the 60Gig hard drive was still accessible
but I had to reformat it, so I lost everything on it but I did have a
backup :-)  I did a reformat and tried it again and the next night I had
the computer working and it happened again :-(  At that point I wasn't
quite sure what was causing the problem because I had a new motherboard
as well as 60Gig hard drive.  So I tried moving it to a 2nd computer
that I had working and this computer could not recognize 60Gig at the
Fdisk level but it did recognize 60Gig at the Bios Level ? :-(   So, I
got a utility for doing a low level format and I did a low level format
and finally was able to Fdisk it and then I added back the original 2
Gig drive to this 2nd computer and at that point both the 2 Gig and 60
Gig were trashed :-(

I finally resolved everything by purchasing an Ultra66 IDE PCI card and
now everything has been working well for about 10 days?  I think the
problem is in the BIOS of the new motherboards that I was using and they
have serious problems with the newer large disk drives!

I hope everyone reads this and is very careful and backs everything up
prior to installing any new large disk drives!  Save yourself some
headaches and spring for a new IDE/PCI card to avoid the problems
inherent to adding these super large hard drives to your system.   My
motherboards/BIOS were from September of 2000!

Good Luck and be careful!

                     visit our download web page at:
                     http://nospin.com/pc/files.html