From:
David Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 May 1999 11:10:05 -0700
On 27 May 99, at 15:17, Debbie Smith wrote:

> Can I combine a DIMM and SIMMs and have them work together or do I have to
> buy more SIMMs if I want to use my existing RAM?

  It's impossible to answer for certain without knowing exactly what kind of
motherboard you have, but generally SIMMs run at 5v and most DIMMs at 3.3v;
the result is that relatively few boards will properly handle a mix of the
two.  [I do have some boards that claim they can handle any mix of SIMMs and
DIMMs, but in fact I've never tried that -- my DIMMs are in machines that run
the bus at 100 MHz, which no SIMMs are rated for.]

  I second the recommendation that you remove the SIMMs and install a DIMM,
although if I knew what motherboard (or, more specifically, what chipset) and
what applications you use, I might recommend 128MB rather than 64MB.
  You need to determine exactly what sort of DIMMs your board needs, but if
it can handle SDRAM, I'd get a DIMM that's rated for "PC100".  Don't throw
out your SIMMs -- odds are good that PC100 SDRAM will work in your next
motherboard, and at that point you can reinstall your SIMMs in this board to
make a hand-me-down, garages sale, or spare machine.

David G

                   messages? Visit our staff web site:
                     http://nospin.com/pc/staff.html