Date:
Sun, 21 Dec 2003 09:26:11 EST
Peter wrote:

>In reference to my speed drop, I suspect that phone line noise may be
contributing to the problem. I get some static on the voice side (it =
happens
after a rain). What else can cause such a slowdown in DSL?<

I work for a contractor that does the hard line installation for Verizon in
DE and MD. One of the things that I'm aware of regarding connection speed
involving the use of standard phone cable (copper wiring) is the physical condition
of the line. There are multiple "break" points. In other words, the line in
your house is not contiguous to the connection point to the main line on the
road (or in some cases in peoples back yards if there is a utility right-of-way
there), nor is it contiguous to the "slick" where the DSL originates in your
area. At every pedestal, there is a point where the wiring is
spliced into for other phone services. Then there is the distance from your
house to the slick, and whether or not there are any other DSL subscribers on
the main line feeding your house. In addition, there is the total amount of
traffic using the system at any one time. Weather is a big consideration as water
has an opportunity to saturate the line at any given splice point, or along
the length of the mainline itself. Some mainline is aerial, others are buried
underground. Any compromise in the protective jacket surrounding the wires can
cause interference from water or even electromagnetic sources, like the power
or cable lines. Finally there is the "construction factor." At any time, if
the feed to your house (which originates from the CO -"central office") to the
point where your line comes off the mainline to your house has had any work
done on it - replacement or additional lines added, there could be some
unaccounted interference or a slightly subpar splice that would change the transmission
capabilities of the wiring supporting your service. I realize that none of
this may be "reassuring" but I hope that it is at least helpful! :-)

Chris Ryan