From:
Dave Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Aug 2000 01:46:35 -0800
On 14 Aug 00, at 13:55, Roberto Safora wrote:

> How do card manufacturers are sure that there is no two cards with
> the same mac address?
>
> In my LAN when I try to install an e-mail client in one of the Pcs
> a message appears warning there is a conflict with the mac address
> of other pc.

  There are a couple of ways that this could happen.  Although the
number encoded into the card is unique, it can be overridden in
software.  Win9x, for instance, records the MAC address during the
Windows install, and keeps this address even if the hardware changes.
  So if you pass around a network card amongst different machines,
you could easily get an error message like this.

David G

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                    http://nospin.com/pc/pcbuild.html