From:
Carroll Grigsby <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 25 Feb 2001 20:25:01 -0500
George:
Let me add my two cents to the other replies: As with a lot of PC
questions, the answer depends on how you're going to use it. If you do
much swapping and upgrading, then paying a few extra bucks for a case
that provides easy access is a good investment.
Look for a case where the side panels can be removed separately rather
than one that has a single C-shaped piece of sheet metal. If the budget
can stand it, and you have the space, hinged panels could be nicer than
slide outs. I've seen some cases in which the motherboard is mounted on
a drawer, which would make such tasks as setting jumpers or installing
RAM chips a whole lot easier. Someone else made an excellent point: Look
for one with an AMD approved power supply. Evidently AMD chips put a lot
of stress on the power supply. 300 watts should be ample. Whatever you
do, don't make the same dumb mistake that I did several years ago when I
bought one that required that the base had to be removed before the
cover could come off.
FWIW, I bought an Antec mid-tower box last fall, and I'm happy with it.
It is well made, comes with an abundant supply of screws and other
hardware, has provisions for extra cooling fans, and the 3-1/2 drive bay
can be removed from the case just by moving a lever. (I've been doing
some hard drive changes lately, and this feature has come in handy. I
just wish that they had made the 5-1/4 bay the same way.) However,
Number One Reason for Buying the Antec Case: The shipping carton has an
"Antec Outside" logo on it. You gotta like that.
Regards,
Carroll Grigsby