From:
Mark Rode <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Dec 2005 11:31:03 -0800
>Incidentally what do you call these drives? Is there a
>generally accepted term yet?

Flash Drives in PCs, or memory cards in camera's. They work exactly  the
same way, the difference is in format, and speed. I haven't heard anyone
refer to them as a "Thumb drive" in a very long time.

  You can buy a USB holder that will let you use your flash card as a
drive. I have a Scandisk 2GB flash card I use in my Canon camera, but I
also can pop it into card reader on my computer, and use it like any other
drive.

Flash drives are often still differentiated by the USB speed, .... USB, or
USB2. There are still a lot of old USB only platforms out there and and
there are separate drivers for USB and USB2 in 98, and ME. I know, for a
fact, that Lexmark has two completely different installs for their USB, and
USB2 drives in 98.

  Both Windows 2000 SP4, and XP SP2 have native support for these devices.
However, Windows 98x, and ME, always require third party proprietary driver
support.

  Even if you found a driver that seemed to work with various manufactures
in 98, you are taking a significant risk of data corruption. Something you
probably don't want to risk in a drive.

You might be interested in this 11/22/05 PCMAG Flash Drive run off

Rode
The NOSPIN Group
http://www.freepctech.com/rode/

                     support at our newest website: