From:
Mark Rode <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Apr 2002 07:50:37 -0700
In order for Linux to access a windows network, it is necessary to run
SAMBA on the  LINUX box. SAMBA is a  implementation of the SMB protocol for
UNIX machines. SMB = Server Message Box is a Microsoft protocol that allows
files and printers to be shared in a DOS, Windows, or OS2 network. SAMBA
allows a Linux client to access a Windows network, and vice versa.

I am not aware of any easy step by step process to get SAMBA up and
running. It is open source freeware and always in development. You install
it by installing and running the SAMBA service in Linux. Then you configure
the smb.cnf file. How you do that depends on a number of factors.
What flavor and version of Linux you are using.
What version of SAMBA.
The particulars of the Microsoft Network you are using.
What kind of security you are using.
If you want to learn about Linux then getting SAMBA up and running can be
quite a learning experience. There are lots and lots of Linux helper
utilities, Samba web sites, and even cng files that you can use as a
template. If anything there is too much information with too much
variation. Every time I have done this I have had to slug my way through it.

If you simply want to transfer files to and from the Linux Box from across
the LAN, then I suggest you just set up a user account on the Linux box and
FTP or Telnet into it from any of the clients. Note, you can not FTP or
Telnet into a Linux box as root. It is too big of a security risk. You can
Telnet into the Linux box as a user and then SU to root if necessary. .

Good Luck with it !

Rode
The NOSPIN Group

>What I am wanting to do is access the shared folders on the NT box and use
>the logins from this box for authentication. Obviously this means that Linux
>must be the client. Which is all fine. As far as I can tell, the network is
>set up correctly (I am able to Ping the other machines on the network both
>from Linux and I can ping the Linux machine) but I can't get to either the
>shares on the NT box, and I certainly haven't figured out how to use NT's
>users as logins for the Linux box. I have quite a few dists available and I
>usually use the KDE environment, but that doesn't matter much either.

                     visit our download web page at:
                  http://freepctech.com/downloads.shtml