From:
Mark Rode <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Jul 2000 13:51:03 -0700
I have seen a number of 486 BIOS's that by default boot to the C drive.
Does the BIOS specify a boot from the A drive.
  Is there a 3.5 inch and a 5.25 inch floppy installed and are you trying
to boot from the correct one ? The one at the end of the floppy cable is
the A drive. If the BIOS is set up correctly then check your floppy cable
and make sure the floppy drive power light flashes during post which will
tell you they have power.

Make sure your boot disk is good...make a new one from a working PC...boot
to DOS or bring up a command prompt in Win9X ...put a floppy in the drive
...and type
FORMAT A: /U /S

This will preform an unconditional format /U and then transfer the system
files /S
After you make it test the new boot disk on the PC you make it on.

Mark Rode
The NoSpin Group

>Was given a GATEWAY 486/33 in order for me to access 5.25 floppys. Cant
>get the system to boot up, error message reads..." Non system disk", it
>thens jumps to BIOS setup, all settings are correct. I save and reboot but
>get same error message...I thought it would boot with a DOS SETUP disk or
>maybe WINDOWS setup disk, thinking it had no OS installed. Still no
>luck..is there a particular type of boot disk I need that is unique to
>GATEWAY to boot up this system?

                  Visit our website regularly for FAQs,
                  http://nospin.com - http://nospin.org