From:
Eric Maquiling <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Jul 2001 12:17:08 -0700
Today, The Esteemed Jack R Payton gathered electrons and wrote:

> Thanks, Eriq ( I think), as I have no clue to how I've become "The
> Esteemed...." unless this is like "My esteemed colleague..." My
> "find-a-use-for-it-before-it-clutters-up-the-junk-pile" attitude is

Fun with your .pinerc config file.  I need to find a way to generate
something random on that line :)

[...]

> computers going back to the CP/M days with either one or two 5.25" 320Kb
> floppies with no HD and 32K or 64K of RAM, to those *fancy* machines with

I too had to learn Lotus in school with a 5 1/4 floppy for my save files
and exchange my ID for 2 or 3 5 1/4 floppies and load Lotus 123 onto a
computer.

> 1) I believe the IBM-AT was either a precursor to or a rough equivalent
> of the *286* system (though we did a lot of things with that *advanced*

Someone else on this board could probably confirm that the 286 is an 8bit
system. (or maybe is that 16 bit?)

> My comment was made with the PC (politically correct) world in mind - at

Ahh, but not a complete waste of time.  I think some people on this list
are now looking at a pile of machine in the corner of their garage and
planning to do something with it.  Like a small, lightweight, apache
server, or mail server (like qmail) or router.  Why buy a router when you
have one in your house...just add another nic card from another machine
you are thinking of thrashing.  Or...where did I put my remote
control.....wait I can do that now on my palm pilot!

> in classes to *train K-xx students in basic computer use.* {It's never

Very true.  I think in some parts of the country that is done.  There are
computer workshops in East Palo Alto (Silicon Valley) that uses older
machines.

I've been able to donate machines to some places where they only use it
for Eudora and Netscape and occasionllay Excel and Word.  And I donated
stuff to nospin.org as well.

> It would be interesting & helpful if anyone has an idea how we on the
> List could promote the recycling of older systems for educational use,

There is...I think it is in the archives somewhere but I remeber places
taking older machines and doing something to them

> Note: save the memory sticks and any video or cache RAM.

From what I understand, they are very bad for the environment because they
don't break down.

> As my "gathered" electrons have been almost discharged, I remain,
> The newly "Esteemed" Jack Payton

I really need to make new reply lines.

--
Eric "emaq" Maquiling