Date:
Wed, 27 Aug 2003 02:12:02 GMT
Hi,

Sorry, but Device Manager can see your modem and it still be bad.
This is the case when the computer and the modem can still communicate but the phone line connection circutry can be shot.
Usually from a phone line surge of some kind.
Can you here a dial tone or any connection tones?

Had several systems come in to me for repair with the same problem.
The owner says "But I had the computer plugged into a surge protector".
I ask them, did you have a surge protector in the phone line also?
DUH! Nobody told about that.

A lot of the better surge protectors now have that, some even have a cable tv connection also. Nice for expensive big screen tv's, cable modems, etc.

My system at home has actually blown two phone line surge protectors since I went online in the mid 90's.
They saved my computer from damage, so I am a firm beliver in using them. I even have my cordless phone plugged into one.

I have seen where the surge protector has opened up and will not allow any signal into the modem. Check that with a phone plugged into the "Phone Out" jack on the back of your modem, if there is one available. Or direct into the surge protector itself. Or plug the modem directly into the phone jack bypassing the surge protector.

Had one person plug the phone line into her new system in the jack labeled "Phone" because she did't know what the jack labeled "Line" was for and on some modems that jack disconnects completely from any incoming phone line and you might get a "No Dial Tone Detected" error message. Other modems it will make no difference whick jack you use.
Out of chance, try the other jack on yours.
Sometimes it is hard to see the words stamped on the modem card bracket.

Had one system running Win98SE where I had to uninstall dial up networking and reinstall it to get the connection working again.
That advise came from my ISP.

Good luck
Clint Worley

--- Olushola <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

My ISP can not establish a connection with my modem. Device manager shows
that the modem is working correctly; i.e., no yellow exclamation marks. Can
someone recommend how I can resolve this problem?

Olushola Sowande

                         PCBUILD's List Owners:
                      Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>
                       Drew Dunn<[log in to unmask]>