From:
Herbert Graf <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Jul 2000 08:46:15 -0400
> This is a follow-up on my HP CDR problems. Recording to CDRW media works
> fine. Trying to write a CDR disk, however, results in a 'Power calibration
> area is full" error message and the recording stops. The CDR disks are not
> actually damaged by this since I can then use them on another machine to
> perform recording. HP has not responded to my queries - I assumed that the
> drive went bad and needed to know where to send it for repair. HP does not
> even provide information on how to get it repaired.

    The "Power Calibration Area" is a part of the disk that does just what
it says, it is used to calibrate the power of the writing laser. Every CDR
needs a different power to accomplish the same writing job, this area of the
disk is used for this purpose.I believe that this area is located adjacent
to the inner hub of the disk, before where normal data writing occurs. If
this is correct then it is possible that there is a problem with the head
transport. Unfortunately I don't know enough about where this area is and
what it needs that writing to CDRW media doesn't to properly diagnos your
problem.

> Has anyone else had this "power calibration area..." message? Any idea on
> what failed in the recorder? I surmise that one of the laser diodes went
bad
> since CDRW and CDR disk take different laser frequencies to record -
hence,
> one may be good while the other has failed. This is only my guess, I have
no
> experience to verify this.

    Both CDRW and CDR use the same "frequency" of laser, only DVD players
that also read CDR media need two lasers of differing wavelength to
function.

> At this point, I am preparing to purchase another CDRW drive, but will not
> get an HP. I am thinking of a 32 8 4 drive from Sony, or the new Plextor
32
> 12 10 drive. Any comments on these?

    Although I haven't tried either of these drives I can recommend my ACER
drive. Very slow by today's standards but it works and I have done alot of
CDRing with it. Good luck, TTYL

                     visit our download web page at:
                     http://nospin.com/pc/files.html