From:
glen sagers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 30 Dec 2000 08:21:08 -0600
R Paddock wrote:

> I recently received a used computer with its one hard
> drive partitioned in two parts. I believe drive C has
> always had Windows98 and D had Linux on it.
> I know that Linux was removed and D was formated just
> before I got it.
> It worked fine until I turned it on on day and then my
> problem started.
> When turned on it shows a Hewlett Packard logo screen,
> then screen goes black (normal so far). It then prints
> "LI" in upper left and does nothing after that. It
> used to print "LILO".
>
> I read in a linux book about start messaages and
> errors that 'LILO' means that every part of LILO has
> been loaded successfully and 'LI' means "The second
> step has been invoked but could not be started.This
> can be due to faulty disk geometry or to moving
> /boot/boot.b without reinstalling LILO"

Yes, that's exactly what it means.  The linux partition was deleted,
without deleting LILO.  Get a win98 boot disk, and run fdisk /mbr from
the a:\ prompt.  That should give you a new master boot record, and
allow you to boot.

As far as the problem below goes, I'm not sure what to tell you.  It may
be a corrupt disk, I don't know.  Try the fdisk /mbr, and see what you
can do after that.  If you still get a fouled-up filesystem, probably
the best bet is to repartition and re-install an OS.

Glen Sagers