Date:
Thu, 24 Aug 2000 23:59:00 +1000
*Personally, I think format is faster and easier to clean win98.*

Fdisk never changed, you know you can use Fdisk to delete partitions, once
partition is gone, win98 won't exist.

Fdisk normally gives you 4 options (if you have more than one harddisks, you
will see the additional option to let you switch between harddisks): create
partition or logical drive, set active partition, delete partition or active
drive, display partition info.

In Fdisk, first thing to do is "display partition info", Fdisk will tell you
all info on partition and logical drives.
To delete partitions, go to option 3: If you have just a single primary
partition, just simple delete primary DOS partition. If there is any
extended partition and logical drive existed, you will need to delete
logical drive first, extended partition 2nd, and primary partition last.

After you cleaned up all partitions, you will need to recreate at least one
primary partition to install OS. (win98 can do it all by itself during the
setup, only issue is that win98 can only create a single primary partition
which uses entire harddisk space)

Nospin website has the instructions you need for installation of win98, it
is not much different from win95, but I do want to make some suggestion to
avoid possible problems:
1)Very Very Important: always do Customs installation, and when you choose
which windows components to go, never ever ever check Disk compression
agent. I know lot of people will disagree with me on this Compression issue,
but once it's on, you can never get it off without a fresh (format)
installation. And the existing of compression (even you never active it)
will give more trouble then you can think.
2)Do not use any DOS driver unless it is 200% necessary, if your computer
supports boot from CD, then boot from win98 CD, you don't need any floppy
disk for the installation. For odd reasons, windows may set itself into DOS
compatibility mode if there is DOS driver exist (remove DOS driver may not
correct the problem unless you hack windows registry).
3)Always use latest driver for your hardware, you may need reference driver
as well (eg, if you have a voodoo3 card, you do need to download the 10M
reference driver to solve "crash in game play" problem).

Good luck and happy computing

Jun Qian