From:
Tony Mayer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Sep 2003 08:29:44 -0700
You won't gain any speed by setting up a computer to act as your gateway.
The router is doing exactly that.  Addtionally, you could be opening a can
of worms by having *another* machine to administer.  I would think the only
real slowdown you're seeing in your connection is when all of the computers
are online at once and using alot of bandwidth (downloading music etc.)
Setting up a computer as a gateway will not help with that situation.

Tony Mayer
Sysop
The Magic FunHouse BBS
http://bbs.magicom.net

>Currently I use a cable modem attached to a router that serves 4 computers
>(yes, I have that many teens). My son wants me to set up a 1Ghz computer
>that would serve as a gateway to improve the Internet connection speed.  Its
>sole purpose is only to be this gateway.  Can anyone explain to me exactly
>how this works and how I would set this up?  Also, is it worth the bother.
>Parts is no problem.
>
>Two computers use XP Home and the other two use Windows 98.
>
>Byron Wolter

                  Visit our website regularly for FAQs,
                          http://freepctech.com