From:
Ray Reyes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Mar 1998 09:24:32 -0800
At 11:08 PM 3/27/98 +0800, Miguel Morillo wrote:
>Is the "memory count" during the power-on-self-test (POST) enough to
>determine if your RAM chips are good???  Or, do you need a special
>diagnostic utility to detect defective RAM chips. Thanks in advance!

The new Award BIOSes have a three-pass POST that's pretty good in detecting
persistent memory errors.  They won't detect intermittent errors, however,
and they definitely will not detect errors in the L2 cache.

Award seems to set its POST to do a short one-pass test by default; you
have to go into the BIOS features setup to disable to short test and enable
the three-pass test.  I think it's worth doing; I've seen situations where
memory errors were missed by the short test, but were caught on the second
or third pass of the long test.

ray reyes

"Whaddya mean I'm on hold?  I thought I was online!!"