From:
David Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 May 1999 12:11:51 -0700
On 9 May 99, at 11:38, Sam Brooks wrote:

> I'm a newcomer to the PCBUILD List and I've several questions
> to pose to listmembers.
>
> #1)  Just how much can one expect to save by buying components
>      and assembling a computer yourself?

  The first machine that I built from components was a 486 DX2/66.  I got
excellent deals on many of the components, often 20-30% below retail by
shopping around, chasing down loss-leaders, and so on, and I was quite proud
of the result.
  But when I added it all up, I found that I'd spent about as much as an
assembled system from a cheap storefront would have cost.  Sure, I had probably,
on average, used better quality components, but I'd also spent time and gas
money and so on.
  My conclusion was that AT THAT POINT, I had not really saved any money.

  Where I began to see the payoff was as I began to upgrade that system, and
those of other family members.  The knowledge I'd gained and my growing stock
of spare slightly-used already-paid-for parts made upgrades generally fast,
cheap, and fun.

  I'm certain that I have saved money *in the long run*.

David G

                     http://nospin.com/pc/files.html