From:
Max Timchenko <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 24 Jul 1999 00:15:03 +0200
Hello Uzi,

  The topic you want to discuss is one where anyone has its own
  opinion, so you should select whatever you find works best for you.
  Modern tools, like Partition Magic, allow you to make changes
  without erasing the data.
  more comments below...

UP> I'm interested to discuss what are the consideration in making the
UP> decisions how to allocate and define logical drives, which sizes and for
UP> what purposes.

UP> I thought of putting the basic Win98 installation, and the temporary
UP> directory on drive C: (say, 1Gb), and not to use it for anything else.
UP> I would consider a second 1Gb logical drive for the swap files and for
UP> temporary usage for CD burning (this temporary usage is limited by
UP> nature to 750Mb). Should I seperate also these two?
I'd say even less. I remember that max. CD_ROM size is about 660M.
I don't think you should make a special disk for this. A dedicated
directory on one of the larger drives will do.

UP> All applications and files would be put on other drives.
UP> Is it a reasonable division?
Yes.

1 Gb was not enough for Windows with me, so I set it to 2G and I still
have 400 Mb free. But I use a lot of apps, so I'd say 1.5G would be
the best.

You may also consider separating your work from games, cd-rom dirs and
other stuff. What I use is 500M disk D: for all things related to my
work (university, web design, email, etc.) and a large, 3.5G E: drive
for anything else, including CD-rom preparation dir. The rest of place is
taken by linux (2G).

+=-.
| Max Timchenko [MaxVT]
| [log in to unmask], [log in to unmask]