From:
"Twin*.*Star" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 31 May 1999 22:23:58 -0400
I basically agree but would not say it is a problem with your new ISP
necessary. I test all puters I sell to include the modems. With the ISP
and modem I use, I get 46 ~ 48k connections at my shop. When I took one
puter to a client and did an in office set up, I thought something had
gone wrong after loading the same ISP CD for the client to get service.
It had much trouble even logging on for installation/set up/initial
service and after several attempts of getting the new service to log
on, the modem would connect at less than 24 k and sometimes even in the
teens. This particular national ISP has at least 10 local phone
lines/modems in Atlanta area to include even 2 different area codes
(Atlanta has 3 local area codes....what a pain for telephony). None of
the phone numbers/ modems would connect above 24K.

Thinking something happen in route, I took the puter back to the shop
and tested. Connected first time a 48K. When back to the client, again
at less than 24K

So what I am saying, the phone lines from you puter to the ISP make a
big difference to include the wiring at the location, i.e. different
jacks at the same location can be a big difference.

Also another factor is what type of server modem your ISP is using.
Some chipset work better than others together. I always advise people
to call their ISP and see what modem/chipset they recommend.

There is a D/L program, I believe with 3Comm, that will check the
ability of the phone lines to use 56K modems from modem to ISP phone
lines. You might try that.

Daniel Wysocki
Twin*.*Star Computers
770-498-2582 / 800-816-0663
Fast, Reliable, Wallet-Friendly

----------
From:   Jim Meagher[SMTP:[log in to unmask]]

Since the modem was connecting at 38-40 with the old ISP, I suspect
your
problem *might* be with the new ISP, but most likely it is just a
telephone circuit problem.  The "path" from your modem to the new ISP
probably uses different (and older) telephone circuits with enough
signal
loss to force the modem to run at slower speeds.

Jim Meagher

                     http://nospin.com/pc/files.html