From:
Ian Porter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 29 Jun 2002 11:49:30 +1200
On several occasions I've been keen to pull a laptop to bits, once to have a
look at a troublesome screen hinge, and once to check out the ram and mobo.
But each time I've never quite managed to see how the case comes apart.
Does anyone know of a website with some basic information on stripping down
laptops?
Ian Porter
Computer Guys Inc.
Arrowtown
New Zealand

From: "Dennis"

Subject: Re: [PCBUILD] Dead LCD Display, Toshiba laptop

> If the laptop has not had any trauma, a likely cause is the harness that
> goes from the main part of the laptop to the display. The display may
> have burned out, but it has been my experience that they usually start
> to fade prior to failing. If I am not mistaken, your model of notebook
> is several years old and after opening and closing it over and over
> again, it just wears out.
>
> I replaced one several years ago; I think that it was either a Zenith or
> Radio Shack unit. Replacing the harness was easy, it was like a mylar
> strip with thin copper cladding on it that just slid in and out of slits
> on each half of the computer. The hard part was reassembling the
> computer; I have large unsteady hands that while adequate for working on
> both my car and desktop system repair, are inadequate for laptop repair.
> It took me hours to put together what only took minutes to take apart. I
> would never do it again!
>
> In your case however, it may cost more than the unit is worth to have it
> repaired at a shop and what the heck, it may be fun and educational to
> try and fix it yourself.
>
> Dennis Noble
> 361-808-9363

                     support at our newest website: