From:
Dave Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Oct 1999 06:48:03 -0800
On 5 Oct 99, at 14:52, Kyle Elmblade wrote:

> It is my understanding that if you have an NT server, and it is
> running before any other systems try to log on to the network, it
> automatically sets itself up as the Browse Master and will not
> allow any other machine to do so.  However, in a peer-to-peer
> network running either Windows 95 or Windows 98, they try to
> wrestle each other for the honor, and you have trouble with seeing
> the other systems.

  This is awfully close.

  A machine gets the stuff it shows under "Network Neighborhood" from
the "Browse Master".  In a peer-to-peer network, the first discovery
that there isn't a current browse master my be when some station asks
for this info, and gets no reply.
  When a browse master request times out, a browse master election is
held.  The rules for such elections mean that an NT server will
always beat an Win 9x workstation (although not all servers are
created equal...).

David G