From:
David Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Dec 1998 19:57:44 -0800
On 10 Dec 98 at 11:13, Jeffrey Delzer wrote:

> Changhsu Liu wrote:
> >
> > I'm changing my internal Panasonic 7502b to an external one. One thing I
> > cannot figure out is to set up jumper of SCSI ID so that the SCSI ID can be
> > set from the switch outside the box.
> >
> > By reading the simple instruction comes with the external case, it seems
> > that I should put:
> > RED to pin1,
> > BLUE to pin2,
> > YELLOW to pin4, and
> > BLACK to COM.
>
> This sounds like the power connector. Your external case should have a
> corresponding plug that fits this connector on the CDR drive.

  NO.  The power connector cables should be yellow, black and red
(two black, preferably, and no blue), and will fit the drive's power
connector.  That's not what he's seeing.

> > >From Panasonic jumper info:
> > 1 to 3 for scsi ID control,
> > pin4 : parity,
> > pin5: no pin,
> > pin6: terminator,
> > pin7: term power.
>
> This is where you configure the parameters for the CDR, including
> its SCSI ID number. Jumpering the first two pins, (upper/lower
> pair, labeled '1'), gives an ID of '1'. Jumpering only the second
> set of pins, (upper/lower pair, labeled '2'), will give you an ID
> of '2'. Jumpering BOTH the first set and the second set of pins
> will give you an ID of '3' because you're now 'adding' 1+2.
> Removing those and jumpering only the third set of pins (labeled
> '4') will give you a SCSI ID of '4'. SCSI ID '5' is achieved by
> jumpering '1' and '4', while '6' is achieved by jumpering '2' and
> '4'. SCSI ID '7' is normally reserved for the controller, I
> believe.

  This is how he would set the drive ID *IFF* he were mounting the
drive internally.  The clever designers of the external case have
provided a "dial" that connects to the ID pins on the drive, allowing
him to change the drive ID without opening the case, and it is the
wires connecting this dial to the drive ID pins that he's having
trouble getting right.
  Every external SCSI case I've ever worked with (about 5 different
models, to date) has has some version of this feature -- some have
been easier to connect correctly than others....

David G

                   messages? Visit our staff web site:
                     http://nospin.com/pc/staff.html