From:
Dean Kukral <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Mar 2004 08:06:39 -0600
This looks like the computer is trying to find the operating system, but
cannot read the disk where it expects it to be.  There are several
possibilities.  You need to look at the BIOS settings in order to confirm
these one way or the other.

First, the computer could be set to boot from a floppy instead of from the
hard drive.  You must check for this in the BIOS.  If the computer is old
enough, the battery that powers the bios memory could be weak, so that the
proper settings are lost when the power is off.

Second, the cable from the hard drive to the motherboard may have come
loose.  In the bios you can see if the hard drive is properly recognized.
If not, then you should make sure that the ribbon cable and the power cable
are both well seated.

The hard drive could be bad.

If the disk has been erased for security reasons, it is possible that you
have no operating system at all on the disk.  In this case you would need to
install an operating system.  You could check these last two by installing
the hard drive temporarily on a known good computer.  (If you have a dos
boot floppy, you could see if the computer will boot from the floppyand
check the drive in situ.)

Dean Kukral