From:
Bill Rosgen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Dec 1998 14:52:29 -0700
>         Dave Perry <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> >I've just bought a Creative Banshee 16mb accelerator card. I have to say
> >that when playing Quake II it doesn't seem to work much better than my 4MB
>
> >s3 Virge card.
> >Does it require some tweaking. My system is a Cyrix 233mmx with 32mbs of
> >ram. I've heard that the Cyrix chips are not so hot with gaming graphics.
> >Would sure appreciate some comments on this subject.
> >
> >Dave

The problem may lie in your processor, a 3d card (the current ones at
least) can only render things as fast as the cpu can deliver them.
AFAIK the cpu is still responsible for calculating where everything is
to be drawn, and the 3d card takes this information, applies textures,
adds filtering, and displays the image.  Unfortunately the geometry
setup is very floating-point intensive, and your cpu, a Cyrix 233mmx, is
not a strong floating-point performer (when compared to an equivalently
clocked intel chip).

You should however recieve decent performnce, somewhere in the
neigborhood of 30fps (maybe less, fps cannot be accurately predicted for
a system).  If you are expecting the incredible numbers printed on the
back of the box (probably around 90fps) know that those numbers are
achieved on a very high-end machine.  You still should get reasonable
performance though.

You could also try updating your drivers, or as someone suggested
perhaps Quake2 is configured incorrectly.
--
Bill Rosgen, aka Glucose
[log in to unmask] ICQ#1808697

Is it not odd that succeed means both to follow and to be successful?

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                    http://nospin.com/pc/pcbuild.html