From:
joseph marty <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 9 Jun 2002 17:23:04 -0400
I recently exchanged my SMC Barricade 7004ABR router/switchbox under warranty because I can't get both computers to log on at the same time and stay logged on.  I wrote about this problem several months ago.  When I use the Barricade's IE based interface, and read the log it keeps I see that one or both computers (Win Me & Win 98 SE) will most times log on for less than a minute and log off by themselves.  One will be logged in, so I'll go to the other one, log off, then log in.  Now the one that just logged in is all alone because the other one logged off by itself for no apparent reason.  They login and log off randomly and intermittently whether you are there doing something or not.  SMC is useless for tech support because they won't even speak to you about anything other than the router: "We don't do networking" is what the techies say.  On occasion, very sporadic, both will log on and stay on, at which time the network works perfectly.  Any ideas on why these computers might log in for 52 seconds and then log off all by itself?