From:
Tom Waddell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Dec 2010 20:02:49 -0500
I am building a new computer to hook up to our HDTV, primarily to watch and record on-line programs through Windows Media Center. I have an AMD Athlon X2 7850 Black Edition AM2 CPU.  I had this CPU in an MSI MB that didn't work out. While setting up the BIOS I noticed an "Unlock Core" function.  I have not seen this before and do not know anything about why multi-core CPU's need to be unlocked. I assumed if the CPU has multiple cores, all would be working. Then I discovered the unlock function.

Questions:

1 - Have ordered a Gigabyte MB (due in 12/21) to replace the MSI and want to make sure I set up the CPU correctly.
2 - THINK I have read here that multi core CPU's can only be unlocked if the CPU supports it. Correct me if I am wrong.
3 - THINK I have read here that dead cores will be locked and can not be unlocked, correct?
4 - Also, cores that work but are not fully functioning can be unlocked but will cause problems, right?

Have worked as an electronics tech for 15 years and have been building computers a long time (10 in 15 years for family) but mostly just put them together "AS-IS". Am retired now and want to learn the finer points of computer building.

PC Specs

MB - 	Gigabyte MA785GM-US2H AMD785G Socket AM2+ MB
CPU - AMD Athlon X2 7850 Black Edition AM2 OEM CPU
Mem	- Corsair 4096MB PC6400 DDR2 800MHz (2x2048MB) DHX
Cooler - Thermaltake CPU Cooler for AMD Opteron & Athlon 64
PS - Corsair VX450W 450W Power Supply
DVD - Plextor 24X DVDRW SATA w/Lightscribe
OS - 	Win 7 Pro 64 bit
HD - 	Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 500GB 7200 RPM
TV Card - Hauppague 1600

                         support at our website:
                          http://freepctech.com