From:
Jim Meagher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 May 1999 11:20:03 -0400
This is not exactly true.

The hard drive makers ARE using 1024, they just round off the numbers.
Which - in reality - provides a more accurate description of the true
drive size.

In Jun's case, his drive is labeled as a 6.4Gig,
but he "sees" a 6.01Gig drive --- which is:
6.01 times 1,024 times 1,024 times 1,024
and that equals 6,453,188,362
or 6.4G when rounded off.

So if someone only views his drive with the Windows Explorer or My
Computer, it will seem to be smaller.  But if he runs scandisk, then looks
at the report, the "real" numbers will be displayed.  And if he looks at
the PROPERTIES of the drive then s/he will see BOTH numbers.

Jim Meagher
=====
Micro Solutions Consulting        Member of The HTML Writers Guild
http://www.ezy.net/~microsol     International Webmasters Association
410-543-8996                MS Site Builder Network - Level 2 member
=====