From:
David Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 3 Aug 2003 16:30:02 -0700
On 3 Aug 2003, at 14:15, Jose E. Dominguez wrote:

> I have a client that wants to conduct therapy sessions with his clients
> all over the world via the internet. What kind of equipment/system will
> he need for this video conferencing thing?
>
> TIA,
>
> Jose

  I'd suggest that he check out CUSeeMe, which is primarily software but see
what hardware it recommends.  Note that any kind of audio or video wants
both decent bandwidth (less than 64kbps is marginal) AND low latency (which
the Internet cannot guarantee unless all parties are on the same (good)
backbone provider).

  I would not expect the Internet to be a very effective means of delivering
an entire course of therapy.  (I was recently at a presentation at Stanford
where they mentioned that they'd found that even a brief amount of real face-
to-face contact enhanced the value and "reality" of ongoing remote
communications.)  It might be interesting to hear how his results compare.

David Gillett