From:
Paul Hachmeyer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Oct 2005 10:54:59 -0400
Is the pc the only thing connected thru the plug, or is the
monitor plugged into the power cord or powered thru an outlet on
the back of the pc as well?   Have you tried a replacement power
cord (maybe shorting out?).  Do you have access to and know how to
use an ammeter to check the actual power draw, or a continuity
tester to test the power cord for shorts when it is unplugged at
both ends?  Sometimes the power cord breaks under the insulation,
and moving the wire will cause a short circuit blowing the fuse.
   If there is a short, you may be able to feel a hot spot along
the wire where the short is occuring, often occurs near the plug
or where it passes into the case.
Dee Hurst wrote:
> My daughters fairly old pc keeps blowing the fuse in the plug (I'm in the
> UK). It had a new power supply, heatsink and fan about 6 months and was fine
> but then a couple of weeks ago this started. Sometimes it will stay on for
> just a few minutes, sometimes an hour or more. (Fuse is currently 16amp -
> originally it was 5).
> Spec is AMD Athlon 1200 processor, 120mb RAM, 20G HDD, running XP. I know
> it's pretty old and it's short on RAM and the processor is slow but it was
> fine for what she used it for (typing letters, browsing eBay, internet
> banking, email etc). No programs or hardware have been recently added

                  Visit our website regularly for FAQs,
                          http://freepctech.com