From:
Tom Turak <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Mar 2003 08:43:53 -0500
The reason FORMAT C: /S doesn't work is because you do not have the file
himem.sys on the diskette.  You should edit (if it exists already) or create
a file named CONFIG.SYS on the diskette, using notepad or similar plain text
editor, and in config.sys should be the line
DEVICE=A:\HIMEM.SYS
This will stop the insufficient memory.  You should run scandisk, which will
need to be on the diskette also, then try to format.  If it still won't
format, then I would get the hard disk utility from the drive manufacturer's
website.

Even if the utility fails, I would eliminate every possibility by installing
the hard drive in a different computer using win98 or better, and see if
that computer can format it.  This will prove whether or not you have bad
memory in your windows95 pc, which can cause the format command to
mistakenly find errors.
Tom Turak