Date:
Wed, 10 Mar 2004 21:38:08 -0800
Ryan Wolfington wrote:
> Someone told me about fdisc, yet when I downloaded it and tried to boot my
> computer it did not work.

Where did this person direct you to go? I'm not familiar with any site where
you can download FDISK. It is my understanding that if you have a Windows 9X
boot disk, you can use it to do many things to your drive including FDISK.

> I need to clear out my hard drives then reinstall.
> How do you wipe out your hard drives with fdisc , or any other way, then
> reinstal?

One could assume that all you want to do is format your hard drive. TO use
FDISK without any knowledge of how to use it may put you in a position where
you will have to take your system to the Doctor (Local Computer shop) to fix
it.

If all you want to do is re-format your drive, remove everything from it
then I would suggest, depending upon what operating system you have us the
Windows boot disk that is required when you install Windows 9X. If you don't
have one, you may be able to make one for your system or get a generic disk
from, http://freepctech.com and go to the heading "Download" And then look
under the heading Windows Files and choose "Boot Disks" There you will find
the basic generic file that will help you. Put this file on a floppy, insert
it into the floppy drive and either start your system or reboot it with the
disk. From here when you get to the prompt, A:\ type in format C: and
depress enter and the drive will be formatted. You may at this point
re-install your operating system and all of the necessary software and
drivers to get the machine back up again.

If on the other hand you really want to do a FDISK, then I would suggest you
go to this site,
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=http://support.microsoft.com:
80/support/kb/articles/Q255/8/67.ASP&NoWebContent=1 - 3

I realize the URL is long and I'm going to send it to myself as a BCC to see
if it works the way I send it. If not, you may do an http://google.com
search for FDISK.

In any case, please proceed with caution. If you choose to use the FDISK
utility, make sure you understand what it is for and what it does. <smile>
When I first got into computers I didn't know what it was nor what it was
for or how to use it. The techs at the time couldn't explain it to me and I
don't suspect they knew either. I go back to the days of Windows for work
groups. My nickname is "Old School". This is a narrative to make a point.

Sincerely,

Frank Suszka
netTek Computers

                    Digest mode - visit our web site: