From:
Kathy Gorman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Jul 2000 14:40:41 -0400
If you are using Windows98SE on the machine connected to the internet, it is
simple to set up Internet Connection Sharing (ICS).

First you need to get the "host" setup and working as a stand-alone machine
and connected to the internet. (It should not be plugged into the local
network hub just yet.) Make sure that you are able to connect to the
internet on this machine without any problems.

Next, you add another network card to the "host". (It's best to use another
brand NIC so it's easy to distinguish which is the local network, and which
is the internet connection). Your computer should recognize the card and
setup "My Network" on your desktop. You then setup your local network, also
adding NETBEUI as a protocol. You now plug the LOCAL network NIC into the
hub, as well as the other machines you want on the local network (and setup
"My Network" on them and add NETBEUI). You should now be able to see each
other (don't forget to select file and printer sharing).

After you have the local network working, go back to the "host" (the machine
connected to the internet), go to Control Panel/Add Remove Programs/Windows
Setup/Communications and check "Internet Connection Sharing". (You will
probably need your original Windows disk). A wizard will walk you through
the setup - you will need to indicate what is used to connect to the
internet and what connects your local network (this will be the name of the
network card you added).

After the wizard has finished, and you have rebooted, go (on the "host") to
Control Panel/Internet Properties/Connection and down at the bottom, under
Local Area Network (LAN) settings, a "settings" button - click it and make
sure that "Enable Internet Connection Sharing" is selected, and also "Show
Icon on taskbar" (that you let you know when you are connected).

This should do it - all of your computers are connected to the internet!
It's really easy if you break it down into three parts: setting up the host
as a stand-along machine connected to the internet, setting up a local
network, setting up internet connection sharing...

Hope this helps.

Kathy