From:
David Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 9 Jan 1999 21:36:46 -0800
On 9 Jan 99, at 21:54, Bill Cohane wrote:

> At 19:19 1/9/99 -0500, Wayne Ramlogan wrote:
> >I'm building a new system and will like people's opinion on
> >motherboards. I will be using an Intel 333 celeron but will like
> >to upgrade later to an Intel Pentium II 400 or AMD 7.
>
> I don't believe any motherboard that accepts an Intel Celeron
> will work with an AMD K7 which I have heard will use a different
> design of CPU slot.

  Early indications are that the K7 will use "Slot A" -- physically
very similar to the "Slot 2" needed for the Intel Xeon, but wired
differently.  The underlying bus is based on DEC's Alpha systems,
and there's some speculation about whether we might not see a Slot A
"riser card" to enable use of Alpha CPUs.

  Slot 1 is proprietary to Intel, and so AMD are unlikely ever to have
permission to build a CPU that works in it.

David G

                     http://nospin.com/pc/files.html