From:
Dreamer's Den <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Apr 1999 13:07:10 +0000
Hi,

I'm new at this so forgive me my ignorance. I have an old 286
computer that I want to set up for the kids so they are able to
type their homework. I would like to have win 3.1 and Write
available for them to use. (Sometimes Dad's work takes priority.)

I have been told by a local (loco?) teen that the base memory for
this unit is inadequate for the task and not to bother installing
win. Can anyone verify this for me? What are minimum memory reqts
for win 3.1?

286 modular bios ver 3.03 c Award Software
640k base memory
motherboard number PCC77AT05E Taiwan
40 meg harddrive

Also I have what I believe to be a memory card that would fit in
the unit. The card is two layers and contains 54 ic's (set in
sockets) with the following identification ...

MSK4164ANP
85A17G-15

It also has a bank(?) of 8 dip(?) switches. 1, 2, 4, 7, and 8 are
on. 3, 5, and 6 are off. Sorry but the card has no other
identification visible.

When I install the card I get the following error...
memory parity error at 4000:FFFC found FF40 expected FFAA

Is this error because the switches are set incorrectly or because
the card is bad?

If other info is required please let me know. I took a guess at
what info might be needed.

Thank you very much for any help you might give me.

David Thuillier