From:
Kevin Nowicki <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Oct 1998 22:27:51 EDT
In a message dated 10/19/98 10:47:41 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

<< I get the message"insufficient memory to load system files" message.
 I have checked config.sys and it had DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\HIMEM.SYS
 /TESTMEM:OFF  I got rid of the /TESTMEM:OFF but had the same results.
 I ran FDISK and it said usage was 100X on the primary DOS partition.
 I don't understand why it would be 100X or know if this is the
 problem.

Hi Mike:
I had a similar problem in that fdisk only recognized the first 500 mgs.  On
FDISK, how many megs is it reporting?
     I solved my problem by going into CMOS and running the HDD detection
again.  I had three options for the hard drive: normal, large, and LBA.  I
changed from normal to LBA ; went back to FDISK and deleted the partition then
did a FDISK /mbr; restarted and went to FDISK and set 1 partition and
reformatted.  FDISK then reported the full 2.1 gig.  Later, I found two boot
sector viruses: Kohl & Bugexe.  The viruses caused my system to run in dos-
compatibility mode.

HTH,
Kevin Nowicki

                                  -----