From:
Jerry Rasmussen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Oct 1999 14:59:15 -0400
George,
The Ditto 2GB tape backup software has an option to save a copy of the
catalog on the tape.  You should ALWAYS use this option.  Also, save copies
of the various files created by a backup to diskette.  This has been very
helpful in instances where I've had to restore a disk drive from tape.

CD-R and CD-RW disks have to have the sessions closed to be read by
non-CD-R/RW drives.  If you intend to restore using a CD-R or RW drive, then
you don't have to close each session.  That means that the files can be
readily restored.  Don't trust software from Adaptec.  Many of us have found
it to be very unreliable.  It is usually what is shipped with a new CD-RW
drive.  There are alternatives availble.  Expect to record at 1X or 2X
speeds to produce reliable CDs.  The faster write modes available on newer
CD-RW drives aren't so important if they produce unreliable results.

HTH,
Jerry Rasmussen
Rasmussen & Bucklin Associates
Coral Springs FL